Sunday, February 8, 2009

we all love springsteen...

Casiotone For The Painfully Alone just released a new album (Advance Base Battery Life) which has two Springsteen covers on it, one which is good and one which is bad. I started looking at all the other Springsteen covers I have and it seems the same dualism is present. So, I figured I would up some of the better covers I have, why? Because Sean and I belt out Springsteen at the bar after too many drinks, because Bernita and I drink awful absinthe and share laughs while listening to him, because Lise and I eat curry on barely and discuss philosophy. Moral of the story, Springsteen's music is for every occasion.



  1. Cassiotone For The Painfully Alone (W/Concern) - Street of Philadelphia
  2. The National - Mansion on The Hill
  3. Electrelane - I'm On Fire
  4. Harry Manx & Kevin Breit - I'm On Fire
  5. Junip & Jose Gonzalez - Ghost of Tom Joad***
  6. Bat For Lashes - I'm On Fire***
  7. Josh Ritter - The River
  8. Tom Waits - Jersey Girl (ok this is a tom waits song but bruce made it 'popular')***
  9. The Veil - State Trooper
  10. Stars - Hungery Heart (if not for amy milan this cover would be nothing)
  11. Bonnie Prince Billy and Tortoise - Thunder Road***
*** = Highly Recommended
hxxps://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBSanZpZ2c3bUNGa1E9PQ
(change xx to tt)

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I especially love the José González version of Ghost of Tom Joad.
    Here are some other gems dear to my heart,

    http://www.myspace.com/theblankket
    This guy put out a mini-cd called "be your own boss", listen to the thunder road cover on his myspace. The best on the album is dancing in the dark, but I can't find a copy of it online.

    http://www.myspace.com/darknessontheedgeofyourtowntour
    Their Bobby Jean cover is definitive, in my opinion.

    Sorry 'bout the myspace links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ill definitely check out the links and im glad you enjoyed the post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now have enough covers to make a playlist entirely consisting of "I'm on fire"
    brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that, in fact, was my goal b.
    also i can tell by skype you are listening to the gambler, for some reason i can picture you belting it out alone in your apartment....

    ReplyDelete