Thursday, March 12, 2009

hidden valleys of the inland empire...

So I figured I would share two artists that put albums in the last 6 months that went under the radar. Then I decided to add two other artist that I really enjoy that people may not be aware of (not because they put out 50 cassette tapes of drone, but artists that are accessible and more people should hear). I've sort of come to the realization there is no point in 'hording' stashes of music or sharing it with only select people, so hopefully someone likes the stuff i'm posting here...

To start off with, I've been listening to 'You Can't Have What You Want' by Papercuts non-stop for the past two weeks. The album is on Gnomonsong Label of Andy Cabic (the genius behind Vetiver) and Devendra Banhart (the guy who spends his nights behind Natalie Portman). Papercuts is Jason Quever who has played with the Skygreen Leopards (who I have posted here before) and other member of San Fransico's Jewelled Anters Collective. The album, which features contributions from Beach House, has the haze of quaalude dreams, reverb gauze, lazy summers and smoke-filled rooms feel (whatever that means) that rests in an 'unforced' 60's nostalgia (like the enjoyable 1/5th of BJM songs) of French Pop, Spaghetti Westerns, Beach Boys, and The Zombies. This is definitely the best album I've heard in a long long long time..


  1. Papercuts - John Brown (off the album Can't Go Back)
  2. Papercuts - Dictator's Lament
  3. Papercuts - The Machine Will Tell Us So
  4. Papercuts - Future Primitive
  5. Papercuts - You Can't Have What You Want


The second artist I wanted to highlight is I Am Oak. Although it's difficult to find any information on this band (which is the project of Dutchman Thijs Kuijken) I think it only adds to the allure. The album 'Ols Songd' beauty rests in its bedroom recording simplicity, Thjis vulnerable falsetto (like a less agnsty jeff magnum, or croony zach condon), enigmatic lyrics written either by a genius or someone learning english, and deceivingly simply classical guitar playing; as a result, I've spent the last couple of months figuring out how to play a lot of the album which has proven more difficult than I expected. This is one of those albums to listen to while looking pensively out windows after arriving home at 4am....

  1. I Am Oak - I Am Sound
  2. I Am Oak - Furrows
  3. I Am Oak - Covers Cover
  4. I Am Oak - Firm Hands
  5. I Am Oak - Islands More Islands
  6. I Am Oak -Yojihito

The other two artist I thought I should highlight are Karl Blau and Colourbook. Karl Blau is a Portland based musician who has worked with Phil Eluvium among others, his songs are eclectic and tough to cage but his vocals are similar to Smog and his lyrics playful which reminds me of Pavement and other early 90's bands. I originally started listening to Karl Blau after hearing the painfully addicting track 'Mockingbird Diet' in demo form (which is the one I will post as the album version is a little too slowed down for my taste). Colourbook is from Victoria, they are friend of friends, most of the guys in the band play in a lot of other Victoria projects, they like yelling/chanting, angular guitar riffs, and, continuing with my theme of making stretched comparisons, sort of sound like Wolf Parade (but in their own way, not like Blackhat Brigade). I really wish they would put out another album...

  1. Karl Blau - Lake King's Daughter
  2. Karl Blau - Arco Iris Arledadore De La Luna
  3. Karl Blau - My Johnny
  4. Karl Blau - Mockingbird Diet
  5. Karl Blau - Dragon Song
  6. Karl Blau - Before Telling Dragons

  1. Colourbook - Lung Fun
  2. Colourbook - The Wimbledon Riot
  3. Colourbook - Spout/Her
Here is the link to download the songs I've listed :
https://www.yousendit.com/download/UmNKd0VDSWVVbS92Wmc9PQ

Also, if you're interested, here are the links to download the Papercut's and I Am Oak albums. They are not my links so I can't guarantee how long they will be up for
Papercuts: http://www.mediafire.com/?tzaljym4uj0
I Am Oak: http://rapidshare.com/files/173364655/I_Am_Oak_-_Ols_Songd_-_2008.zip

Finally, go see these artists live or buy there albums....


All images of Soviet playing cards in the Mayan theme from http://englishrussia.com/?p=2127 , sort of a weird funny story behind them if you check out the link....

No comments:

Post a Comment